The 2017 ISRM International Rock Mechanics Symposium is to be held in Cape Town. The conference theme is ‘Rock Mechanics for Africa’. Mining has traditionally been a mainstay of African economies, while Oil and Gas industries are rapidly growing throughout Africa. Infrastructure is being developed to support these industries. Rock engineering design is and therefore will continue to be essential for the growth of the continent. Prior to the conference, the ISRM Board, Council and Commission meetings will take place. Technical visits are being arranged for after the conference.
Conference brochure here.
- Fracture and damage of rocks
- Numerical modelling
- Constitutive models
- Rock mechanics data
- Instrumentation and monitoring
- Petroleum rock mechanics
- Ground support
- Risk in rock engineering design
- Crustal stress and earthquakes
- Radioactive waste disposal
- Ground consolidation
- Specialised blasting to minimise rock damage
- Testing methods
- Rock mechanics in underground mines
- Slope stability
- Caving mechanics
- Design of tunnels and caverns
- Mechanics of fracking
- Mine seismicity and rockbursts
- Underground nuclear plants.